fredag 18. januar 2013

Travellin'

I usually like travelling, especially flying, but now I've once again found out that "less is more". The three hour flight to Paris and the four hour layover there wEnt perfectly fine. The flight to LA also went well, at least in the beginning. After take-off, we got a glass of champagne. Then there was dinner consisting of an appetizer and an entree followed by cheese and fruit, all wrapped up with coffee and pastries. You hear a lot of things regarding the French, but you can’t deny that they are good with food, even flight meals. Anyways, after the meal I watched a couple of movies, and thus the first five hours flied by, literally. The next seven? Not so much. First of all; I was sitting by one of the aisles right behind one of the two islands containing restrooms and galleys. This meant that approximately 125 of the 500 passengers had to walk right by me in order to get to the bathroom, and It's kinda hard to sleep when people keep bumping into you. It was especially this one guy, a rather large fellow, who posed a problem. He obviously had some stomach problems, so he went at least once every hour, and he nudged my seat every single time. That’s a bit annoying when you're on a twelve hour flight… To make things worse, the ladies sitting next to me decided to change their kids' diapers in their seats. I understand that they need to change them from time to time, but I found it a bit unnessesary to do it while they were sitting in their seat. Despite these small problems, the flight went without major problems. The border control in LA took quite a while, but at least the American government now know that my finger prints are the same as they were a couple of years ago. The last leg of the journey, LA-Guatemala, went surprisingly fast, and around 06:00 (local time), I sat my foot in Latin-America for the first time. The airport looked like any other airport, but as soon as I left the terminal, I realized that I was in another world. The people, the language, the smells, everything. Everything was new. The only things that weren’t were the cars. The drive to my host family was with an ancient mini-van which would never have passed the EU-control back home. It struggled a bit up hill, but we made it there in an hour or so. As this has been my first day I’ve only met the mother, Margarita, but she was very nice. The rest of the day I’ve just been resting and taking a brief trip in the city. I’ve also been to a restaurant with Terry, an American who’s living in the room next to me. Classes begin at 08:00 tomorrow morning, so I think I’ll go to bed now. Its early, but as I’ve been travelling for more than 24 hours, I think its okay. Hasta luego!

2 kommentarer:

  1. Fantastisk, Magnus! Du skriver så bra. Følte jeg var der i den skranglete bilen oppover bakkene. Gleder meg til å se bilder også :) og flere flotte beskrivelser, selvsagt!

    SvarSlett
  2. Takk, Silje:) bilder er ute nå!

    SvarSlett